Thursday 21 June 2012

Resprayed!

The grand arrived back in the workshop a couple of days ago and is looking wonderful.  I was not able to take many photos, due to the location of the piano and also the fact that the main lid, the fall and several other parts are wrapped up to protect them from damage in a very busy and active workshop environment.  I didn't want to risk any scuffs for the sake of a few photos.  However, you can see the difference in quality below.  Both are of the bass side of the piano.  Both were taken in the same lighting conditions.  Great stuff!  Very pleased with how well the characteristics of the wood have come back out again.
Before

After


Here, too is a photo of the piano as a "whole", excluding its lid, fall, and keys.


The piano is looking fantastic!  Now it is time for the complicated and time-consuming part... the internal parts of the piano.  This is what will take up the vast majority of time and patience.

Unfortunately, we cannot start on it straight away.  Before this piano came in, I had already started to rebuild and restore a Bechstein model V piano, and this needs to be completed before I can turn my concentration onto the Challen.  This Bechstein, along with the fact that I still have a very active tuning round that I need to keep on top of, means that it will be several weeks before I can make this project a priority.  As soon as I can however, expect lots more blog entries to be coming in.  Will be posting a video of the piano being played once completed, hopefully being performed by an up and coming pianist, before it sets back off down to Islington!

No comments:

Post a Comment